"Wow! You're HUGE!! Are you sure you aren't having twins?"
"Oh you are having twins? Did you conceive naturally?"
"You're having another baby already?! You guys need cable!" This particular one came back to haunt me when I had two babies 12 months apart and I heard similar sentiments for...well I still hear them two years later!
"Your kids go to their dad's every other weekend? That's a nice break!"
"Sometimes I wish I went to a quiet office everyday like you!"
"You guys have been married a while, when are you planning on having kids?"
And these are just the things I'm willing to openly admit! I'm sure I have said many more things that were unintentionally insensitive to number of different people groups. And fortunately for me, to date, no one has decked me or even given me a firm talking to! I think it's the freckles. No one wants to make a girl with chubby cheeks and freckles cry. It's not cute.
So all of this is what makes the SLEW of blog posts warning against such stupid questions the most annoying trend in blogging. They are usually titled something like, "10 Things Never to Say to a Working/Stay at Home Mom," "5 Questions Not to Ask a Breastfeeding/Formula Feeding Mom," "What to Never Say to a Soduko/Cat Lover." These posts are about as unoriginal and unentertaining as every viral parody of a pop song on YouTube, (can we just stop making those? Please?). But they are also just not nice. Do we really need to be that way? Do we need to shut down conversations before they even begin? Sure, some people say terrible things from a hateful or truly distasteful place and those people need our swiftest and hardest verbal junk-punch we can muster up! But otherwise let's all just calm down, don't take it all so seriously, and be kind and understanding of one another. You'll get your turn to say something dumb soon enough!
No comments:
Post a Comment